PeaceTrees has grown out of a deep commitment to renew relationships with the people of Vietnam and promote a safe and sustainable future for its children
Founded in 1995 by Danaan Parry and Jerilyn Brusseau, PeaceTrees Vietnam was the first US organization permitted to sponsor humanitarian demining efforts in Vietnam. Over the years PeaceTrees has continued to work in mine action, while broadening the scope of its humanitarian work and remaining committed to honoring losses on all sides of the war.
Over the last thirty five years more than 10,800 people have been killed or maimed by landmines and unexploded ordnance. In one out of every five cases, the victim is a child. Since its founding, Peacetrees has had a major impact in Quảng Trị province. Our progress includes:
- 105,855+ ordnance items removed
- 43,850+ trees planted
- 795 participants on 59 citizen diplomacy trips
- Mine risk education provided for 85,850+ people, 1,664 scholarships distributed
- 100 family homes, 12 libraries, 12 kindergartens and 2 community centers
- 215 victims and 62 families affected by accidents supported
- 886+acres of land cleared
The timeline below highlights organizational milestones
• November: Vision for PeaceTrees Vietnam launched in Seattle, Washington
• First visit to Vietnam and welcome to Hà Nội. Invitation to Quảng Trị Province.
• Formal agreement with Quảng Trị Province to sponsor humanitarian demining efforts.
• First Citizen Diplomacy Tree planting Delegation to plant trees on safely cleared land.
• Danaan Parry Landmines Education Center for Children built in Đông Hà, Quảng Trị Province.
• PeaceTrees Friendship Village and kindergarten built on safely cleared land.
• PeaceTrees received their first Humanitarian Demining grant from the United States Department of State for the clearance of land in Khe Sanh, Quảng Trị and the surrounding area.
• The first kindergarten is built in the Khe Sanh area, in honor of US Marine Corps Corporal David Warner.
• Gold Star Mother Rae Cheney is awarded the Medal for Peace and Friendship Among Nations by the Vietnam Union of Friendship Organizations
• Healthful Gardens for Healthy Children Pilot Project initiated
• Humanitarian Demining expanded to Quảng Bình Province
• Bản Kè Kindergarten is built in Quảng Bình
• Finished PeaceTrees' 12th library, the Lotus Friendship Library in Mò Ó Commune
• Completed Ba Lòng Village Project, which combined UXO clearance and community building work
• Black Pepper Pilot Project initiated with the dedicated support of our project partners
• PeaceTrees Vietnam celebrated its 20th anniversary
• Reached milestone of 100,000 UXOs cleared
• Healthful Gardens for Healthy Children project expansion to 200 additional women based on success of pilot project